Monday, June 13, 2022

Winter embroidery

Winter arrived early and dramatically in southeast Australia. We've had some of the lowest June temperatures in a hundred years! With this very cold weather and more time spent indoors it seemed a good time to go through my UFO's*. 

First out the box was this Hedebo tea cozy. I adapted the design from one featured in the book 'Embroider Now' by the late Hetsie van Wyk, a well known South African embroiderer. Click here for more about Hetsie's work in one of my earlier blog posts. 

Second out my UFO box was a Hardanger coffee table runner. I had thought of unpicking one side because the runner is rather long. But, I am going to complete it just as it is. The original design appeared in a Burda magazine Special on Hardanger and you can see more about the embroidery in this blog post here.

We have my daughter and family staying with us while they demolish and rebuild their house. I needed something fairly easy to stitch, so I have been working on the runner. All the kloster blocks are already finished and once I've cut the threads for the next few Maltese crosses, it requires little concentration and no counting. 

My Hetsie tea cozy? I still need to work out how to put it all together. I hardly use a teapot anymore so it may not end up being a tea cozy. For now it's safely back in the UFO box with it's fellow UFO's.

'Till next time, happy stitching. 

And if you are in the southern hemisphere, I hope the weather is a little warmer where you are.

- - - - - - 

*UFO - Unfinished Object

7 comments:

  1. Plenty of UFOs from which to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hardanger is beautiful! It's finally wet and chilly in Cape Town, winter just starting... but last week CT had a record highs for June of between 29 and 32 deg C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! What extraordinary temperatures those are for June. Glad the rain has arrived for you to damp everything down..

      Delete
  3. You have gorgeous projects! The table runner is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela! I hope to finish that table runner one day :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great way to hibernate! It's a lovely piece. It's been wet here- but that's not something we ever complain about in Adelaide! 16C today and sun's out.

    ReplyDelete