Thursday, June 4, 2020

Hardanger Progress

Some projects seem to be destined to spend a long time in my UFO box. The coffee table runner I wrote about here in my last post has spent many years in that box. 


It was this Hardanger pattern that caught my attention - because of the cutwork fillings embroidered in a contrasting colour and those pretty Maltese crosses and eyelets. 


I found it in an old Burda magazine, a special Hardanger edition, full of beautiful items to stitch. 


I adapted the pattern from the Burda magazine to fit my rather long coffee table.


With the Kloster blocks finished and the buttonhole edge done, it's just the eyelets and the cutwork to be completed.


The little Maltese crosses are a lovely dainty filling and I have done quite a lot of them. 


But, I have found doing the cutwork and filling stitches a little boring and that has meant I don't spend long periods of time doing it. How I admire those embroiderers who work on one item at a time, and finish it, before moving on to the next.


To be honest, there is another reason that I feel disinclined to finish the coffee table runner. I designed it for a coffee table that we no longer have. Unfortunately it was quite badly damaged in a move and has been replaced. The coffee table we have now is a treasure, made by my father, and it is smaller and a much better size for our lounge. 

The other place where I could possibly use a long runner, is on our dining room sideboard. But, the runner is about 10 centimetres longer than the top of the sideboard. The edges would hang over the sides and that would bother me. I did look into unpicking some of the embroidery. I would have to unpick and rework it from the ruler in the photo to fit the sideboard attractively. Decisions decisions!


So, for now the cloth is rolled up, ready to go back into it's pilowcase in the UFO box. 


In the meantime, to liven up my stitching time while still isolating and social distancing to avoid the dreadful coronavirus, I joined a stitch-along organized by the local Queensland Embroiderers' Guild. I'll tell you more about that next time.

'Till then keep safe, be well and happy stitching.

                                       _____________________________________________

UFO - UnFinished Object


No comments:

Post a Comment