Saturday, March 2, 2019

Spectacle Case Last Round Decisions

I have almost finished the spectacle case I started some weeks ago, fitting in a few minutes here and there to work on it. Read about it in previous posts by clicking here, here and here.

With only one final round of stitching to do, I tried out a few alternate ideas. I tried rice stitch which you can see on the left below. First, with the dark green cross underneath and the corners crossed in light green. Then I reversed the colours and tried light green for the cross and covered the corners with dark green thread. No, those both looked too busy and seemed to detract from the rest of the embroidery.


Maybe plain cushion stitch in either light green or dark green? No, neither looked right against the row of brown cushion stitch right next to it.


How about a row of satin stitch in dark green, above on the right? No, too dull and looks heavy.

A row of Smyrna cross in light green as suggested in the pattern in the kit? Yes. I like the way it connects with the light green in the rest of the piece. I also like the contrast of its rough texture with the smooth brown cushion stitch. Smyrna cross works up quickly so it won't take long to complete the final round of stitching. See stitch diagrams for Smyrna cross here.

Do you also consider changing an embroidery pattern as you stitch? I find my mind going through possible options as I go along and I can't resist trying them out. Some ideas work and others don't, but it does make the stitching more interesting.
----------

On a different note, we were all thankful that Cyclone Oma did not make landfall here, but rather sorry that it didn't come just a little bit closer to the coast and bring us some much needed rain. Brisbane has had an exceptionally hot and very dry summer.

Till next time, happy stitching.


No comments:

Post a Comment