Saturday, March 23, 2019

First Stitches

I  recently listened to Phillipa Turnbull's interview with Gary Parr on his podcast Fiber Talk. I was interested to hear her comment that beginners find it easier to embroider with wool rather than "slippery cotton" and I had an idea. I had some crewel wool that I purchased from the CEG sales table a few years ago.


Yesterday my grandchildren aged 6 and 8 were introduced to a needle and thread. They enjoy arranging the glass-headed pins in my pincushion but had not yet done any stitching. Both were surprised to find that unlike a pin, the needle had a little hole in it. And, the thread actually has to go through that little hole.

I edged squares of loosely-woven Aida-like fabric to make coasters and started them off with a row of running stitch. The idea was to teach them a few basics like how to hold the needle so the thread doesn't slip out of it and how to sew in a straight line and keep stitches all the same length.


After a few protests of "I can't do this. It's too hard", silence suddenly reigned. And I threaded needles. Then, one tied a knot so that the thread wouldn't come out of the needle and learned that it makes it harder to pull it through the fabric. We all learned lots of valuable little lessons.

I took a photo when the children had a break. The six year old  carefully tried to keep her running stitches all the same. The eight year old quite simply followed his own plan and drew lines with the needle and thread. To my surprise he used back stitch, something which he picked up after watching only once how I began the row of running stitch for him.


Although they did more stitching I didn't manage to take another photo before the coasters were eagerly wrapped and ready to give to their mom who returns from a 10 day business trip later night.

The wool worked well for little fingers stitching their very first project. I think I'll probably use it again for the next one.

If you haven't listened to a Fiber Talk podcast and want some stitching company while you stitch you'll find lots to choose from on the website here. I have particularly enjoyed hearing the voices of embroiderers whose embroidery I admire as well as learning a little more about them and their work.

Till next time, happy stitching.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jillian. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That little project reminded me just how many little stitching skills we take for granted and how much there is learn for someone with no experience of stitching at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Our Guild runs classes for children in libraries in holidays - I have the same reaction. I passed this link on to Phillipa. She posted the link to the Crewel Work Company Facebook page, with the comment

    "How nice to receive a mention here. Thank you Lyn and thank you Jillian Dellit for sending this to us. "
    in case you didn't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for passing on the link to my blog post to Phillipa, and for letting me know about it. Sometimes the number of visitors to my blog suddenly increases and I don't always know why.

      Delete