Thursday, September 6, 2018

Canvas Work Spectacle Case

I've started to stitch a little kit that I've had for years. It's a spectacle case designed by Kathryn Cilliers-Louw. The needle was pinned into the canvas for so long it's completely rusted. It's definitely time to do that stitching!


First stitch is Smyrna cross. It's a double cross stitch also known Leviathan stitch. I'm using three strands of rayon floss which gives little bumpy squares. I like the feel of them when I run my finger over them.


The rayon is proving just what a mind of it's own it has. Thank goodness for my thread conditioner and a drop of water. They do help to tame the thread. I have often marveled at how the embroiderers of Brazilian embroidery manage those slippery threads and produce such perfect stitches.


My pattern calls for five different threads and somehow I have only four with my kit. I'll have to add in something from the threads in my cupboard. All in all it hasn't been the best start to this little project. It is relaxing though to be stitching from a kit. Someone else has worked it all out and ironed out all the tricky bits. I can just stitch.

'Till next time, happy stitching!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it a nice feeling to finally get started on a UFO that has been 'on holiday' for such a long time?
    The stitch and the thread are both nice, but I agree, slippery threads are not easy to work with. Good luck, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm not sure if the kit has been on holiday or I have, but we have finally met up. I agree it is nice to work on something that has been quietly nagging at you.

    ReplyDelete