Wednesday, April 24, 2013

More whitework embroidery

In my last post there were photos of some of the exquisite embroidery on display at the Jubilee House Textile Museum in Stellenbosch, just outside of Cape Town. Here are a few more photos of the whitework embroidery on show there. The work is in cabinets behind glass making it difficult to photograph, but I hope you will enjoy seeing what I managed to capture.

 
The tea cosy designed and stitched by Hetsie van Wyk was worked on pink linen which showed up the stitching beautifully. Don't you just love those two dainty little triangular areas across the centre?
 
 
 
 And look at those eyelets on this richly embroidered cutwork cloth!

 
Another of Hetsie's embroidered works, this one in a shimmering silk thread and combining surface embroidery and a variety of openwork techniques:


 
There was so much to admire that I will have to pay the museum another visit one day. I didn't get a chance to look closely at the collection of Emily Hobhouse's lace though I did notice a couple of pieces of very fine needlepoint lace - well worth going back to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment