Saturday, August 4, 2012

Long-legged Cross Stitch Corner

I have been experimenting this week with turning a corner with long-legged cross stitch. Its a pretty stitch to use as an edging row on a needlepoint pincushion because it gives plaited or braided effect and its simple to do.


The trouble comes when you get to a corner. How do you turn the corner neatly and get good coverage of the canvas? Below is a diagram of my first attempt to make a compensating stitch at the end of the row. I added in the red stitch 13-14 in the diagram below. 13-14 is half of a long leg of the cross.


Then I continued along the next side beginning with a long leg as usual, 15-16 in Corner 1 below, and so on. It does make a very neat finish on the corner. But, once you turn and stuff the pincushion, there is some tension on the corner and the canvas starts to show through. Just a tiny bit, but enough that I wanted to try and find a better solution. So on to Corner 2.


I did the same compensating stitch 13-14 to end the row. Then I added another two compensating stitches. These are the green stitches 15-16 (half of a long leg) and 17-18 (the short leg of a cross).

Corner 2 looks very bulky before the pincushion is stitched up, turned and stuffed. I don't think I would use it to turn a corner on any embroidery that is going to remain flat. It does however give the best coverage of the corner once the pincushion is turned and stuffed.

I have been through a number of stitch dictionaries and spoken to a number of embroidery friends and I have not yet come up with the answer of how to turn a corner with long-legged cross stitch. I'd love to hear from you if you have any suggestions.

Till next time, happy stitching, and have a lovely weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I too struggled to turn a corner on a biscornu actually and all I asked said just fudge it with some extra stitches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start with one plain cross stitch, continue with long-legged to end of row.

    ReplyDelete