Monday, July 15, 2024

Hardanger Pincushion

This is a small sample that I finished off into a pincushion and donated to the Guild for sale at the exhibition. I wrote previously about the pretty Hardanger stitch here.

Once the centre motif was complete, I tried out several ideas around the edge to finish it off. The four-sided stitch over four didn't work at all.

In the end I tried four corner eyelets which I rather like with the open look of the Hardanger filling stitch. Then came the Kloster blocks to define the edge and tie in with the satin stitch surrounding the cut area. A few surface stitches gave the final touch to the eyelets.

Instead of ironing, I damp stretched the embroidery overnight. That always gives a nice, smooth finish.

I chose pink satin to line the embroidery and a pink and white butterfly print for the back of the pincushion. The filling is a polyester cushion stuffing. 

Next time I'll show you the other little sample that I completed and made up as a pincushion too.

Interestingly, pincushions and needlebooks on sale at this years exhibition were not as popular as previously. I'll have to give some thought as to what I can do with my little samples for next time.

The sun is shining beautifully today, but it's definitely winter here with a very chilly and windy cold snap. I hope its warmer wherever you are.

Happy stitching!


1 comment:

  1. Well, we had warm drizzle today!
    I love the little pincushion - the extra details are just right.

    ReplyDelete