Thursday, December 10, 2020

A little Christmas stitching

Towards the end of November, I came across a charming Christmas To Do/Bucket List on Canadian Needle Nana's blog. Suddenly the penny dropped that Christmas was hurtling towards us and I hadn't given it much thought. It was time for my to do list. And I wanted to make one small embroidered gift, but more about that below.

The grandchildren helped put up the Christmas tree this week. It was well worth waiting for them to come over and do it with us. The lights had to go up first and were switched on straight away. Already there was a Christmassy atmosphere. Then the ornaments were unpacked. There was some disappointment when the ornaments made by the Dubai cousins were unwrapped and we explained that they couldn't come for Christmas this year. That's because Australia's borders are still closed to international travellers due to our Covid restrictions. 

It was a rainy afternoon and sorting out the tree and the decorations kept us all busy: trying on the very long string of gold beads; walking round and round the Christmas tree wrapping it in beads and then fat strands of tinsel; and finally examining the decorations before hanging them up one by one. It was the perfect rainy day activity. It was the first rain in six weeks and very welcome, especially as we were in the middle of a ten day heatwave. 

Christmas presents were next on my to do list and there Google was a boon. I have spent quite some time doing the shopping - all online so far. It's way too easy to click that pay now button! The postie will have a heavy bag when he gets to our house. I hope he arrives with all the parcels before Christmas otherwise I might be handing out IOU's instead of giving presents this year.

That little stitched gift is for kind in-laws who have invited us for Christmas lunch. You may recognize the first steps in the photo below. Yes, it's Hardanger. I have made several over the years and given them all away. This year I had to ask my daughter to lend me hers - off of her Christmas tree! - to remind me how to do it. It's almost half way and should be finished soon. Then I have three family birthdays to think about in the next two weeks!

How ever you will be spending Christmas at the end of this extraordinary year, I hope you are making good progress with your Christmas to do list, and enjoying yourself along the way.

'Till next time, happy stitching!

.............

P.S. I wonder if other bloggers are also stumbling along with Blogger's changed formatting and the photo quality? I've gotten used to some of the changes but seem to come across another challenge each time I put up a new post. Perhaps there are new changes being applied every couple of weeks?


2 comments:

  1. First of all, I think EVERYONE who's using Blogger have experienced feelings of confusion, frustration, and worse, over the ever-changing new features, tricks and traps that have been set up.
    I had trouble leaving comments, then that was solved over night without me doing anything. I had trouble replying to comments, and now struggle with placements of photos and line spacing. As you say, there seems to be a new challenge every time.

    Now for your Christmas preparation. It is so interesting to see people in shorts dressing the tree, for us who have always celebrated Christmas in a cold climate, sweaters and woollen socks is the norm.
    Your 'decorators' did a grand job, and with all the handmade presents you have been making, I am sure it will be a good Christmas in spite of all the trouble the world has seen this year.
    Nevertheless, stay safe and alert, and a Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Queenie! I do so enjoy following along with what you are doing over on your blog.
      Blogger! I determined to accept the changes as they appeared and mostly seemed able to eventually find my way through, but I really battled with my last post. I agree the spacing and the way the photos now work is not as straightforward as it was originally.
      With so many children's Christmas stories set in the northern hemisphere I grew up thinking that that was what Christmas was supposed to be like. Even Christmas cards had snowy scenes or cosy wintery pictures on them. But down south it's quite different. It's midsummer and our Christmas has always been hot, often celebrated outside and certainly with no snow in sight.
      Thanks for all the lovely good wishes. I hope your Christmas is good and cheery too. Do take care.

      Delete