Thursday, October 18, 2018

Heliotrope 'Cherry Pie' Pincushion

Earlier in June I started a piece of purple Bargello, or Florentine, that I wrote about in previous posts here and here.


As I worked I noticed a straggly shrub out in the garden with flowers of the same deep purple colour.


See how closely the colours match?


The delight of moving into a house with a nice little garden is discovering through the seasons what the previous gardener has planted. The shrub I found is heliotrope and it has the most heavenly perfume. It reminds me strongly of vanilla. Apparently it is also like the aroma of a freshly baked cherry pie! Hence the shrub known as heliotrope 'Cherry Pie'.


The Bargello pattern for the Heliotrope 'Cherry Pie' pincushion is now in my Etsy shop Lynlubell. Click here to see it. As a customer very kindly remarked, this is much more than just a pattern. It's a step by step tutorial with lots of canvas work tips, and many photographs to illustrate the techniques.

There is also a larger version of the pincushion pattern that could be mounted or framed. It could be made into an oblong pincushion or even applied to a cushion cover to update the colour scheme of a living room.


Heliotrope, fashionable in Victorian gardens of the 19th century, has seemingly made a comeback here in Brisbane. I can see why. It has a long flowering season, tolerates hot dry conditions and some varieties have a remarkable fragrance. The one in my garden is planted next to the carport and every time I get out of the car I am surrounded by a soft cloud of its lovely scent. I wish I could send you a little breath of its gentle perfume.

In the meantime, enjoy the gardens around you, and happy stitching!


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely design, those purples are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine. Bargello is a nice relaxing type of embroidery to do and it led me to discover a lovely plant too.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pin cushion Lyn! I love the deep purple shade you've used in the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started out with much lighter shades of purple. Somehow it didn't look really purple until I added the darkest thread.

      Delete