Saturday, June 23, 2018

Weekend

I love the evening light on the trees in the park at the end of garden, especially on Fridays at the end of the week.


Someone very kindly mowed the grass over there while we were out yesterday. Someone from the Council arrives every couple of weeks with a tractor and whips around in half an hour.  The way he swings the mower about in merry fashion I'd say that tractor driver loves his job.

Where was I yesterday? At the Embroidery Guild Exhibition in the City. We changed our minds at the last minute and thought we'd go by car instead of by train. Now I know why everyone says take the bus or the train. The one-ways, the river and the intersections with no right turn make navigating very tricky. But, we made it to the exhibition in the old Masonic Hall in Fortitude Valley. On the way we learned a lot about Brisbane too.

The 189 embroideries on display were exquisite. They were inspiring. Everything from canvas work and counted thread work, to needle painting, stump work and Japanese embroidery was there. Everything meticulously embroidered and carefully displayed. No photographs were allowed so unfortunately I have no embroidery to show you.

Looking around the hall I recognized designs by many of the popular embroidery designers and many from Inspirations magazine. I was impressed by the number of substantial works designed by the embroiderers themselves. I so enjoyed seeing such different work.

One thing that did strike me was the fabric. Many of the pieces of pulled work, drawn thread, Schwalm and Punto Antico were embroidered on a close weave linen, a 38 count Italian Graziano. The linen itself looked beautiful and the close weave really showed up the openwork to great effect. Much of this was work was done with 12 and 8 Pearl threads and quite a few pieces were stitched with colour.

Upstairs was a display of work from the guild's archives. It included quite a bit of clothing. Among the items I was thrilled to see 3 Ayrshire christening robes. That was a treat. It's the first time I've seen this form of whitework up close.

I have a few things to do now before the grandchildren arrive. They are coming for a sleepover tonight.

Till next time, happy stitching.


2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful autumn.
    Australian embroiderers are famous for their great work. I am sure you saw only splendid pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just found a number of comments I didn't know about. I'll have to look into it, Blogspot!
      I was really blown away by the embroidery at the exhibition. Great work indeed!

      Delete