Thursday, August 20, 2015

Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens

A bright sunny winter's day took me to Kirstenbosch on a lovely walk through the gardens.


The Kranz Aloes were looking splendid


and the bees were having a feast. There must have been about twenty buzzing around this clump of aloes.


I caught a glimpse of Teddy Bear Mountain along the way. It's a firm favourite among children on school outings and is remembered for years afterwards.  



I was pleased that those dinosaurs in the dinosaur garden were statues and not the real thing. Imagine coming across an animal of that size on your rambles.




I was headed up towards the Treetop Canopy Walk which is well camouflaged until you are right there.


The views of the gardens and surrounding mountains are wonderful.


I saw these flowers from way up on the walkway. They were the most delicate shades of pink.


Not long after my walk, the Hottentot's Holland Mountains off in the distance were tipped with a sprinkling of snow and winter had truly arrived here in Cape Town. The snow doesn't reach very far down the mountains but when it snows the temperature plummets and we know all about it.
  

But on this day the sky was clear and blue.


Making my way back to the car park I crossed the lawns, passed the pond and had a last glimpse of Teddy Bear Mountain. I was already planning my next visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment