Thursday, May 12, 2016

Danielle Clough - embroidery, rackets and shoes

Some of you may remember those old wooden tennis rackets. The Cape Town textile artist and photographer Danielle Clough has put them to another use. She embroiders on rackets...

Aloe on a racket by Danielle Clough

Face on a racket by Danielle Clough

and shoes.

Rat on pair of shoes by Danielle Clough
The embroidery is all done with a variety of wool and thread. If, like me, you are interested in what the back of the work looks like, take a peek at the back of the Rat on a racket, by clicking here.

Rat on racket by Danielle Clough
Danielle learned to embroider only three years ago and has embroidered a large number of pieces in that short time. You can see more of her work on both her website and on Instagram
Humming bird by Danielle Clough
'Till next time, happy stitching!

6 comments:

  1. Tour blog is beautiful.I love embroidery and you have inspired me to get out my needle and thread again.
    I will probably spend hours here reading. Thank you. I have some of my mother's wartime embroidery on my blog
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah! Thanks for your lovely comments. I'm glad that you feel inspired to stitch again. I popped over to your blog and enjoyed seeing your mother's embroidery of London landmarks. What a treasure that is. I was born in London and spent only my first year there but it holds special meaning for me. Enjoy your stitching.

      Delete
  2. These are really lovely, Lyn. I especially like the face. Inspiring.Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the use of different ground materials, rather than the conventional cottons and linens. I don't know that I will try anything so very different but it does make one think and see other possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Lyn...aren't these wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I see them my mind gets a little shake-up and starts thinking along different lines...

    ReplyDelete